Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Overland Park, KS

How to Verify a Professional's License in Overland Park?

Professionals in Overland Park are typically regulated by both state and local boards and agencies depending on the particular profession. Some of these boards include the Kansas State Board of Healing Arts, which licenses 16 health-related professions, and the Kansas State Board of Technical Professions(KSBTP), which licenses five construction-related professions. In addition to state regulation, certain professionals are licensed at the county level. For example, the Johnson County Contractor Licensing Agency issues ten different types of construction contractor licenses. If you want to engage a professional in Overland Park, ensuring that they are duly registered and licensed is integral to having a successful project. You can verify a professional's license by contacting the particular state or local agency that regulates such professionals. For example, you can find out if a professional is properly licensed by the KSBTP by contacting the agency at (785) 296-3053.

In addition to ensuring that any professional you hire is duly licensed, you should also make sure that any permits that may be required to execute your project are obtained. Overland Park requires that a permit be obtained for most commercial and residential developments from the city's Building and Safety Division. You can find out about permitting requirements and obtain necessary permits by contacting the division at (913) 895-6225 or by accessing the city's online permit system ePLACE.

Kansas Contractor License Search:

Do Overland Park Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

No, neighborhood associations in Overland Park do not issue building-related or home improvement permits. Rather, these associations work hand in hand with city officials to promote programs that help residents form connections with one another, interact with local leaders, and improve the standard of living within the city. On May 10th, 2021, the Overland Park city council approved the final plans for a 4,000 seater civic and community sports center. The Bluhawk Sports Park is to be located at the southeast corner of 162nd Street and Lowell Avenue and it will have a host of sporting facilities including eight volleyball courts, four basketball courts, and an ice rink. The project is estimated to cost $100million. In June 2021, the city council also approved the addition of an express toll lane to the U.S. 69 Highway. The toll lane, which had been the subject of opposition from some of the city's residents, was approved by the council with a vote of 10-2 in its favor.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Overland Park?

Consumers in Overland Park may report unfair business actions, fraud, deception, and a wide range of consumer complaints to the Kansas Attorney General's Office or the Johnson County District Attorney. Complaints to the Kansas Attorney General's Office are handled by its Consumer Protection Division and you can make a complaint by completing and submitting a consumer protection investigative request form to

  • Consumer Protection Division
  • 120 South West 10th Avenue,
  • 2nd Floor
  • Topeka, KS 66612- 1597

When sending your complaint, make sure you attach copies of all documents that are related to the transaction including correspondence, advertising, and receipts.

Alternatively, you can report complaints to the Consumer Protection Unit domiciled in the Johnson County District Attorney's Office by contacting the consumer fraud hotline at (913) 715-3003. Complaints to this office can also be done by completing a consumer complaint form and sending this form along with any supporting documents to

  • Office of the District Attorney
  • Consumer Protection Division
  • P.O. Box 728
  • Olathe, KS 66051

It is important to bear in mind that the Kansas Attorney General's Office and the Johnson County District Attorney cannot prosecute private matters on your behalf or provide you with legal advice. Although they can investigate complaints, they cannot compel businesses to resolve your complaints. On some occasions where deceptive and unconscionable acts are observed, an action might be instituted to protect the public interest, but there is no assurance that this will end in restitution for you. If you are unsatisfied with the outcome of any of the complaint processes, you may proceed to a Johnson County Small Claims Court to file a personal action. However, also bear in mind that the small claims division only has jurisdiction over money or property to the limit of $4000.